SAMSUNG T5 Portable SSD 500GB - Up to 540MB/s - USB 3.1 External Solid State Drive, Black (MU-PA500B/AM)
- Superfast read write speeds: SSD with V-NAND offers ultra-fast data transfer speeds of up to 540MB/s (up to 4.9x faster than external HDDs); Ideal for transferring large-sized data including 4K videos, high-resolution photos, games and more
- Compact and portable design: Top to bottom shock resistant metal design fits in the palm of your hand and easily slides in your pocket or purse to take work and entertainment on the go
- Secure encryption: Optional password protection and AES 256-bit hardware encryption keeps your personal and private data more secure
- Seamless connectivity: Includes USB type C to C and USB type C to A cables to connect to PCs, Macs, smartphones and other devices
- Warranty and compatibility: 3-year limited warranty; Requires Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), Android 4.4 (KitKat), or higher; Older versions of the Windows, Mac and Android operating systems may not be supported
Reddazon may receive an affiliate commission if you make purchases on Amazon.com through this site. Thank you for using these links to support Reddazon.
Reddit Posts and Comments
0 posts • 60 mentions • top 38 shown below
3 points • Brutaka1
It's saying it's $73. You can get a Samsung, with higher storage capacity, for nearly the same price.
2 points • emailrob
Save some money and get the Samsung T5. I've no idea what internals they are using for the 'Gigastone' one.
1 points • AwaitingCombat
500gb Samsung T5 is also $90
and is also usb-c
1 points • dtallee
Good to know!
I reckon it would run pretty fast on one of these though, eh?
1 points • bread_on_trees
- I've heard 18's are the best if your roads are rough or have lots of potholes. Rough roads can permanently destroy low-profile rims. Plus 18's have a few % better range.
- I agree with the others... get a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and use the mobile charger. This should cost somewhere around $500 - $1500 depending on your electrician. The mobile charger while plugged into the outlet will charge around 32 miles of range per hour. If you have the Standard Range+, this is the max home charging speed for your car and it doesn't make sense to spend an extra $500 on the wall connector for no speed improvement. However, if you have a Long Range or Performance Model 3, then you can get up to 48 miles of range per hour on the wall connector so that might make sense. Either way, the charge will still finish overnight.
- Paint seemed fine to me, but I did a ceramic coating myself. If you're going to wash the car yourself, watch videos on proper procedure. Avoid using car washes unless they're touchless.
I didn't find mudflaps necessary. We get lots of raid here, but no mud on roads.
- Depending on how you financed and what state you're in, make sure you have tax/title/license fees ready. For example, I had to pay about $3000 in cash to the DMV in order to get license plates. Nobody explained this to me until I had the car.
- I prefer using a portable USB SSD. These are a bit more durable and better than a USB drive.
1 points • prodigalgold
Here's the SSD I use, it helps the load times sooo much. Zero load time on the steps in the tower and my menus load almost instantly unless I'm flying into somewhere. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_15B0EbHX4NTJ6
1 points • zeroooooooooooo
Ok, I understand.
It’s a spinning HDD if it makes any noise at all. Send me the model and I’ll tell you what it is.
Here’s an external SSD that will work well for things to run reasonably fast. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DejdFbMMQFNSC
1 points • neilaakk
This one is great, I've used it for a few months now:
1 points • WeldAE
> Is there a size you recommend for the SSD?
500GB seems to be the lower end size you can get these days. They used to have a 250GB one but it's out of stock everywhere. It's only $30 more so I'd just go with that.
> Just for... if I'm totally out of battery and only standard outlets are nearby?
Yeah, 110V 20amp extensions are pretty cheap and you can't be sure how close you can get to an outlet. I've used one when visiting a friend and I got 60 miles overnight so I could skip hitting the super charger in the morning. It's just a good thing to have.
> Do you have any thoughts on a screen protector?
I personally hate them but maybe I'm odd that way. I know a lot of people who use them on phones but I would never do it. I think very few would even use on on the Tesla screen and I can't imagine what good it would do.
> I should have asked you for your referral code back when I ordered my car.
I don't even mention it because I don't want to give the wrong impression since it isn't why I help people out. If you didn't use anyone's referral code, I'm sorry about that because you would have gotten 1000 miles of super charging for free. I've been lucky to have several people I know buy Tesla's and I haven't paid for super charging yet. In the end it's worth about $250. Maybe I'll change my stance on mentioning it and just be really clear to find someone you know in real-life to get a referral from.
1 points • rjearl18
I bought This 500GB External SSD. I haven't had any complaints about the drive so far. Its SUPER SMALL whole drive will fit in the palm of your hand and I can tuck it into the flip up console compartment of my Model S and and take it in and out as needed. I tried to find a similar place with my full size SSD and it became a hassle to get in and out.
1 points • CLxJames
I assume I have to format it or something before I can use it
1 points • Rippen2
There is a cost benefit to the decision you’re trying to make. The drive you quite is inexpensive, but is a mechanical drive that can be damaged if dropped while running. Additionally it has quite a bit of storage which means you can put a bunch of games on it.
An alternative would be to buy an external SSD. This drive will cost more money per gigabyte. Common sizes are 512gb or 1Tb, so you won’t be able to store as many games. The benefit of the SSD is that it is significantly faster so your loading times will be decreased, making games more enjoyable. Additionally there is no moving parts and an SSD, so it is much more durable than a mechanical drive.
This is the first link from a quick Amazon search: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA500B/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=external+ssd&qid=1579984555&sr=8-3
This is the correct interface for your laptop, and this will be much faster at loading but sacrifice of 1/4 the size for about the same cost. Your priorities really determine what is best for you.
1 points • fickle_floridian
This is what I use. It's a popular choice with folks here.
1 points • SSG-Jayman
The T5 SSD for sure.
1 points • Robert315
Samsung T5 Portable SSD - 500GB - USB 3.1 External SSD (MU-PA500B/AM), Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_sAKUlhuLhYoe2
1 points • _Legend_Has_It_
Can't go wrong with this one then :
1 points • akeratsat
I got this 500GB Samsung T5 from my local Office Depot, it cost about the same that Amazon lists it for in that link. So far it and Skyrim are all that's on it, and it's helped them both immensely. I'm sure there are better ones and I'm sure someone else will reccomend one, but for what I wanted, this does the job and didn't break the bank.
1 points • nottheceoofracism
Samsung t5 is perfect
1 points • Snypist1
It does suck
This is the SSD I am using; Samsung T5 Portable SSD - 500GB - USB 3.1 External SSD (MU-PA500B/AM), Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_s4HnEbZTC1D2Z
1 points • amenbrews
I currently use the Samsung SSD hard drive. Comes in different colors too. Has a case and is small enough for throwing it in your backpack etc.
5 points • Gaming09
It takes forever to ship but the jeda hub is definitely the best https://getjeda.com/tesla-model3-usb-hub/ just don't buy the inductive charger from them that kinda sucks. Get the taptes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X2RJ2V4/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_apa_i_PHQdEbNPFJ3WP prolly the best of them
Grab 2 of these if you wanna plug the wireless charging pad into the USB c ports https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LONQ7R6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_UJQdEb8KKB6S7
That way the A ports are free for game controllers
And grab a T5 for your sentry and dashcam https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share Format it to fat32 (if on Windows use http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm so you can format the full drive) and then add the folder "TeslaCam" to the root of the drive
1 points • Hunger4499
The near universal recommendation for a modern External SSD is the Samsung T5. It's compact, fast, durable, and uses USB-C. Many Tech YouTubers use it along with pro video editors. I've had mine for almost a year, and think it's great.
If you want something even better (but more expensive), the Samsung X5 is an NVMe Thunderbolt 3 SSD with crazy good performance.
Running apps off an external drive isn't always the best choice. Better to stick with storing files and video libraries on external storage, while keeping Apps and their files onboard.
Are you having issues with limited internal storage? I can help if you're interested.
1 points • CryptoManilla
I’m currently on the market for a SSD for my Raspberry Pi 8gig I plan to use for staking. Reading some of the latest reviews on Amazon lead me to believe the Samsung T5 may not be the best option? Could someone point me to any other good SSDs that pair nicely with the Rpi. What about the Sandisk? (Linked below)
Samsung (MU-PA500B/AM)T5 Portable SSD - 500GB - USB 3.1 External SSD , Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.9f6EbED1JB5V
SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable External SSD - Up to 550MB/s - USB-C, USB 3.1 - SDSSDE60-1T00-G25 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078STRHBX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Fig6EbX043CSW
1 points • Skymogul
1 points • caltman21
Not 100% sure yet. I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA500B/dp/B073GZBT36?th=1 and it's expected to arrive today. Does the chipset have a big impact on the energy costs?
1 points • dmb4041
thank you. do you think something like this would work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=twister_B0849FR35Z
1 points • pasta4u
Your better off buying a 3.5 inch ssd and using an external usb case for it.
Microsd cards will peak pretty well around 100MB/s but when sustaining a write its very slow
You can do something like this
Its very small , 500 gig which is not to far off the price of a 500gig sd card.
1 points • deuteronpsi
After much research, I just ordered this from Amazon:
Samsung T5 Portable SSD - 500GB - USB 3.1 External SSD (MU-PA500B/AM), Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_18VnEb7A1XG4B
And this to put it in:
Now I just need my car so I can use them. ;)
1 points • Kagrok
The device you're using is marked at 120Mb/s so you would NOT see an improvement over USB from an internal drive. USB has a few other disadvantages and starting at a lower max rate (140 vs 120) puts you at an even worse disadvantage.
I would suggest you purchase a USB3.x SSD drive and you'll see a tremendous improvement.
that's on sale right now too.
1 points • ejcrv
It was pricey. However I'm actually able to play a game right off of it and can't even tell it's an external drive.
1 points • DrMcDizzle2020
ram: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NH4WDBZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ssd: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=twister_B0849FR35Z
You will have to buy different parts for your machine. The newest iMac has usb-c parts and the 2014 has thunderbolt. The ram is different spec as well. I looked at the reviews for the ram and saw that other people were putting them in their iMac. The ram install took me 15 minutes. I put them in the wrong slots at first and I had to switch the order. I have 24gb now.
1 points • awshit36
This one for ease of just plugging it in https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA500B/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=500gb+ssd+samsung+external&qid=1581367129&sprefix=500gb+ssd+samsung&sr=8-3
Or something like https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Performance-Internal-SP512GBSS3A55S25/dp/B07997QV4Z/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?keywords=500gb+ssd+samsung&qid=1581367095&sprefix=500gb+ssd&sr=8-16 And buy an enclosure https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-free-Enclosure-Optimized-EC-UASP/dp/B00OJ3UJ2S/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=external+hard+drive+enclosure&qid=1581367231&sprefix=external+hard+driveen&sr=8-3
I have the Samsung one works great for large scale games that render alot (destiny). Doesn't make much difference for most games though as far as load times
1 points • HybridCamRev
> 1) Do you think it’ll work on the Ronin M?
It will work just fine. Here is the Z CAM E2 F6 (same body as the S6) flying on the Ronin M.
> 2) Is there another display I could get than the Atmos Ninja 5? Spending 1k on a monitor hurts...
If you don't mind working with Z RAW, you can save a little money with a $499 super bright 2200 nit PortKeys BM5 touch screen monitor, an $89.99 Samsung T5 500GB SSD and a $26.99 SSD mount instead of the $1,049 Ninja plus 1TB SSD combo.
Again, hope this is helpful!
1 points • AutoModerator
Remember: Friends & Family/Gift payments, Venmo, gift cards, Zelle and cryptocurrency are non-refundable and offer NO BUYER PROTECTION. - If as a buyer, you choose to pay through the "Friends and Family" option, or agree to send Gift Cards, Venmo, or cryptocurrency as payment, please understand that you will not be able to open a claim should something go wrong in the transaction.
Title: [CAN-QC] [H] 2x Samsung T5 SSDs (500GB, Blue) [W] PayPal
Price flexible within reason.
USD $75 each/USD $135 both shipped - 2x Samsung T5 SSDs (500GB, Blue).
Comes with USB-C to USB-C cable. CrystalDiskInfo reports in timestamp. Both in great condition, used as scratch drives for 2.5-3 months. Item currently sells for $90 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=twister_B074T4VYCV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1.
Comment before PMing.
I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.
3 points • 6thDAY
- Center Console Wrap: https://www.amazon.com/EV-Wraps-Tesla-Center-Console/dp/B07F5T2NM8/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=ev+wraps+tesla+model+3+center+console+wrap&qid=1593580631&s=automotive&sr=1-4
- Dash Wrap: https://www.amazon.com/EV-Wraps-Tesla-Model-Dash/dp/B082KD27LL/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ev+wraps+dash+wrap&qid=1593580656&s=automotive&sr=1-2
- Sunshade: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYGJ1TB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Wireless Charger: https://www.amazon.com/TapTes-Horizontally-Vertically-Smartphone-Compatible/dp/B07X2RJ2V4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=wireless+charger+model+3+tapetes&qid=1593580729&s=automotive&sr=1-3
- Sentry Mode SSD Drive: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA500B/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=samsung+t5&qid=1593580785&s=automotive&sr=1-1-catcorr
- Matte Screen Protector: https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Model-Tempered-Screen-Protector/dp/B078W5RBYB?ref_=ast_sto_dp
- Center Console Liners: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN2NYG3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1 points • teslrrrrr
Maybe it's overheating? I personally do not recommend that style of USB readers due to the MicroSD card being close to the front USB ports, which are notorious for being very hot.
I've always recommended something with the reader away, such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EFPX9XA
I have always recommended this combo (paired with a High Endurance MicroSD).
However, if Tesla continues its development to allow more video streams to dump to the USB drive (currently there are *4* video streams being written), I'm most likely going to change my recommendation to a USB SSD, ex:
1 points • im_thatoneguy
Pass-through battery so that your USB charging works with the car off and Quick-Charge capability. (Unless they've fixed this since then.)
Wireless charging if you want that.
To give your passengers some hope of escaping the vehicle and not living in your car for the rest of their lives trapped: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MXYBPYH/
Because the center console scratches like crazy and blinds you: https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Center-Console-Interior-Decoration/dp/B07ZSGN7TD/
Because the firmware is super buggy and unless you have a stupid fast drive it complains for no reason: